Saturday, February 23, 2008

Caramel Brownies

I have, on occasion, created a sweet confection or two for my small group at HCBC UT (best small group ever!). From those confections, one in particular was begged for the most often - Caramel Brownies. And so, with big news to deliver to them this week (more on that in another post when I have time and brain enough to), I decided it was time to break brownie with them again. And so, a sort of pictorial "how to make caramel brownies" - not that it is difficult.

1. After looking at the ingredient list, I went to the grocery store in search of the few things I did not have on hand. It was there that I realized something truly tragic - while the recipe calls for 6 ounces of evaporated milk, evaporated milk is sold in 5-ounce or 12(ish)-ounce cans. Drats! Not needing extra evaporated milk, I opted to be short an ounce and hoped it did not spell an early disaster for my brownies.

2. Unwrap a whole bag of caramels. Not the best part of the process, but undoubtedly better than when I cut up gumdrops into eensy pieces for zucchini muffins. Talk about sticky and time consuming.

3. Then I put the caramels in a pot with the evaporated milk over low-ish heat.


4. Then I read the recipe and realized half the evaporated milk was supposed to go in the batter. So...1/3 cup evaporated milk with a hint of caramel infusion went in the batter.

5. I melted a lot of butter. And the batter glistens in its new fatty addition. Purdy!

6. To make cutting easier, I lined the bottom of my 9x13 with parchment and gave it a little spray with the non-stick spray stuff (both under the parchment and on top of it).

7. The good part about having so much butter in the batter is that when I put half of it in the bottom of the pan, it was fun to smoosh and spread around with my fingers. I suppose if someone had textile issues with gooey oily things this would be a dark part of their experience.

8. While the bottom half of the brownie baked, I continued to stir the caramels. It was beginning to look a lot like ice cream topping.


9. When the timer beeped at me, out came the brownies and on went the chocolate chips...


...and then the caramel. Can I eat it now?


10. Since the batter is not too spreadable over a layer of liquid caramel, I smooshed super ball-sized bits of batter in my hands to flatten it, then laid it over the caramel, eventually covering a good deal of the sticky stuff.


11. Back in the oven it went, and I was left with a dilemma. What to do with a pot with caramel sauce clinging to its sides and no apple slices to be found?


12. Twenty minutes later and the brownies were done. And self-control began to weaken. Brownies are for small group, but warm brownies with warm chocolate chips and caramel - they would not notice one little piece missing, would they? Sadly for me, my college kids are smart and would notice something missing...especially since my piece of choice would have been from the middle of the brownie pan.


13. Finished products sliced and oozy chewy deliciousness. I could not get any pictures of my group eating them because they were too quick for me.

1 comment:

Shelley said...

K, so I tried 'em! They disapeared from the kitchen over a days time. Testimony to those trying not to eat a stick and a 1/2 of butter! I think I put too much batter in the first part. Overall, it was like lasagna...better the next day! Yes, I did eat the remainder of the caramel right out of the cooking pan. And it was good. Real good. :) Very rich. Oh, and I didn't use nuts, so Tracy liked them VERY much.