Monday, February 18, 2008

Commercial Issues

There is a commercial on TV right now that aggravates me every time I watch it. It is a commercial for Time Warner promoting its all-in-one packages. In it, a gentleman about my age states, "I want the world to revolve around me..." and then goes on to enumerate all the things that should revolve around him (a meeting starting when he gets there, TV shows on when he can watch them, etc.) If you do not loathe this commercial already, allow me to explain why I do. It promotes selfishness. This is not to say that all or most commercials do not do this, but this one is so blatant. They are clearly marketing toward the young and "hip" demographic, a demographic which needs little reminder to think first of themselves.

I have watched news stories (60 Minutes, evening news, etc) that address the growing problem of people around my age entering the work force. They think the boss should work around their schedules, abilities, and timetables. They expect to make as much money as their parent(s) do right out of college. And, in some companies, areas of H.R. are developing ways to address the growing concern with "helicopter" parents - parents who apply for their child's job for them, come to the interview with them, and call the company when their child is unhappy with the job or to check up on how he or she is doing.

Is that the root of it - parents who raised their children to think they are the most important person? I do not think parents are the only ones to point a finger at, but they may be part of this new problem. People my age were raised getting trophies even if they lost a sports game, hearing they were great in everything...even if they were not. Why do we wonder how those kids on American Idol are convinced they are the next Aretha Franklin? It is because their parents, friends, and teachers thought it better to tell them they were the best than to point them in a direction that may be better suited for their talents and abilities.

The dawn of reality TV also began during my generation, where anyone who wanted to be on TV reasonably could. Real World, Survivor, Bachelor, Big Brother, the list goes on. All of this comes down to one person - me, my, mine, I. We grew up thinking we were the best, and so when we perform in a "less than best" manner at our employment or friendship, we assume "I am not the problem, the other person is." That is dangerous.

The result of all this, in my opinion, is that we are stunted. When we are criticized or a needed improvement is pointed out to us, we attack the person rather than confront our own possible weakness. We cut people down without a second thought and are shocked when others do the same to us. We think we can be all and do all, and that is just not possible. Perhaps the most worrying area in my opinion is that since we think we are the most important person, we constantly put ourselves above everyone around us. We look at friendships not as "what can I give?" but "what can this person offer me?" Our priorities come before and above our friends'; we are self-seeking and relationally stunted.

We do not play well with others. We play great beside others, but not with others. Because "with" means someone's opinion is being sacrificed for the good of another's. "With" means I may not win or get the attention. "With" means I have to put someone else's needs and wants above my own. And if I am putting my needs beneath that person's needs, will that person one day put me above them? Will my grand act of unselfishness be repaid? Or will they "forget" so I have to ask them "Remember the time when I did (blank) for you?" If they are going to forget, what is the point in helping in the first place?

I have no solution, no 12-step plan to combat this. Just the hope that I will remember to think about someone else every now and again, and hope that if I do not, someone will prompt me to get over myself. And I will think about what they said before I think about how I am better than them.

No comments: