Thursday, August 28, 2008

The Once and Future King

On my recent by-train trip to Washington, D.C. (details coming soon) I decided that The Jungle is not appropriate reading on a train. Watching people eat hamburgers while reading about how hamburgers were made at one time does not make for comfortable reading. So, I turned to my bookshelves for a remedy and I rediscovered a wonderful book, The Once and Future King.

I first was introduced to this book at the very beginning of 9th grade; it was the first book I read as a new high schooler at a new school. The book is actually comprised of four smaller books, and my class only read the first two - book one focused on King Arthur in his youth (think the adventures in The Sword in the Stone) and book two focused on Arthur's half-sister's family. I had always intended to finish the book, but would start and stop repeatedly over Christmas breaks.

This book is wonderful. I think it has about everything a person could want in a book - murder, politics, intrigue, fights, fantasy, sociology, history, romance, ethics, betrayal - it appeals to just about everyone, male or female, young or old. The story following Arthur as he goes from being Wart the kitchen boy to King Arthur of England. Merlyn teaches Wart about how different governments and societies work by transforming Arthur into an ant, badger, goose, fish and other creatures. In each society, he learns the pros and cons of most main types of societies - monarchical, democratic, dictatorship, communist, etc. Of course, Arthur does not see that Merlyn is teaching him these things; he only sees them as great adventures or school lessons.

As Arthur becomes king and begins building his Round Table, he is faced with the question of whether people who are raised in an "evil" culture are, by their nature, evil. Or can they be reshaped to do good? This is most clearly seen in his dealings with his half-sister and nephews, who were raised to be jealous, violent and possessive people. They are of the mind that "might makes right" while Arthur believes that power through force only leads to greater dissension. And so, he attempts to lead fairly and justly, as a husband, friend, diplomat and warrior. Does Arthur's ideal society work? Is he able to treat everyone equal and fair, without bias? I guess you will have to read the book. Sure, it may be a little long (about 650 pages), but the moment you finish, you will want to turn back to page one and begin it again.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I think I might need to read this book! I've always been a fan of the Arthur tales so I think I would enjoy this. Of course I'm not sure when I'll have time to read that long of a book, but on my list it will go.

Side note: I miss you! How are you doing?