Sunday, September 7, 2008

Washington, DC - Trains and The Mall

Finally, it is time I wrote about my trip to Washington, DC in late July. Yes, if I am only writing about this now, imagine what other things I have failed to talk about in the past month or so! It is a disgrace, I know, but fortunately, grace exists as does forgiveness and understanding...right?

Aaron lived in DC for the summer while he was an intern at the Cato Institute. Given that I had not been to DC since junior high and this was my only chance for a "vacation" over the summer, I snatched up the opportunity. In speaking to a friend at church, she reminded me of a method of travel oft forgot - trains! I researched a little, did some number crunching and discovered that, were I to purchase a train ticket to DC a month in advance before the ticket costs went up, it would be cheaper for me to get to DC by train than car. Hmm...riding on a train, where someone else has to worry about directions and I can read or driving my car, trying to convince myself I really am driving to DC and not Kentucky? The choice was simple. And a fun one, at that. I think the ride ended up being about an hour longer than a drive would take, but it was worth it.

Both reading and watching Virginia go by through the window of the train was a pleasant experience. The people on the train were quite diverse - I sat next to a school teacher; across from me sat two men in their 40s or 50s, brothers taking a vacation together (they were on my train coming back as well); families going to reunions; Marines going on weekend leave from Quantico.

Upon reaching DC, Aaron and I found one another and decided to walk around the National Mall before meeting some of his friends for desserts later that evening. It was a nice walk, but a little heavy given I was carrying my suitcase/backpack with me, and he carrying his computer bag. I think the views made the load worth it - DC at sunset, what a sight.



We were able to see the Capitol Building, White House, Jefferson Memorial, and a bunch of random statues (Pershing, Sherman, Hamilton) before dining on some creme brulee and s'mores cake. Our feet hurt, we probably did not smell like roses, and it was time to sleep. On the Metro we went and out it spat us near Aaron's attic for the summer. Yes, attic. Aaron and one of his longtime friends who was also in DC for an internship rented a lady's attic for the summer. An attic without central air, on the third floor of an antique house, complete with creaky floorboards, bugs and a bathroom that smelled like black mold would smell, I imagine. It was an experience, both for me in my short time there, and for Aaron over the summer. Everyone quickly fell asleep in their respective beds and air mattresses, gathering energy for the grand trek of DC tomorrow.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I think that is so cool that you took the train!