Monday, August 11, 2008

Olympics are here!

...and I could not be happier. I have always loved watching the sports, no matter how mainstream or obscure. Thus far, I have watched: fencing, beach volleyball, soccer, swimming, beach volleyball, cycling road race, gymnastics, equestrian, and water polo. Favorite event so far this year? Far and away is swimming, because it looks like something anyone could do, but then I realize just how freakin' fast they are going. Speaking of...

Men's 4x100 relay. Holy. Moley. Did you see this? Please say you saw this. I stayed up until midnight watching it and rewatching it. I have never seen such a grand display of athleticism from so many people in such a short amount of time. Not only is it impressive that the U.S. won by a fingertip (literally), but then to hear via the announcers that, though the U.S. broke the world record (obliterate is more like it), so did the 2nd through 5th place teams. That is 20 men swimming faster than ever before. It is in these moments when I think the Olympic spirit shows in full force, because it is not solely about who took the gold; it is about a group of men or women pushing one another to new heights and lengths physically. In the words of Morgan Freeman on the Visa commercial - Go world.

No comments: