Tuesday, June 10, 2008

On hold...

I am on hold with an insurance company right now. Been on hold for about 15 minutes now, which begs the question - when do you hang up? I need to speak with them, so if I hang up now, I will have to go through the holding again at some point. I feel like Phoebe on Friends - I will get the next available operator, but how long must I wait for him/her to become available?

After about 10 minutes, I begin to ask myself things like "Is my life, like this phone call, on hold? How long have I been on hold? Do I simply need to know the correct 'extension' for life fulfillment? Why can't people on hold choose what kind of music they like? What hold music would I be if I had to choose? What if I have been placed in an 'on hold' vortex where my phone call will never be answered and 'they" (you know...them) are sending me subliminal messages, reprogramming my mind to only eat Burger King or shop at TJMaxx?" Holding is dangerous.

(26 minutes and counting...)

***Update*** I hung up the phone at approximately 32 minutes. I am sure that, had I not hung up, I would still be on hold. It was a difficult decision, but I think it was the right one. Eventually, an alternate phone number was found that provided me with an actual human. But first I was put on hold...

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think you've been on hold too long...you're starting to scare me.

Anonymous said...

are you still on hold?

Unknown said...

Randy Pausch has some really good tips on handling the "on hold" problem in his Time Management Lecture. I highly recommend them. You can see his lecture on YouTube:

YouTube - Randy Pausch Lecture: Time Management