Friday, November 23, 2007

Thanksgiving 2007

Another Thanksgiving Day has come and gone, filled with floats, football, and, of course, food. This year, as in every other one, I spent mine with the family enjoying an unstressful, relaxed day watching the dog show on TV. This is a recently added "tradition" for Turkey Day, watching the dog show after the parade ends. We each choose our favorite pooch and pray that the poodle does not win. It is adorable, furry, and is a great way to talk yourself into getting a dog. I think I may have only a slight crush on my pick this year - the Norfolk Terrier.

Now, the food - with pictures!

First things first, the turkey. After years of roasting her own bird, my mom decided that Popeye's can do it better. I present to you, the Cajun-fried turkey.

Why fried turkey? Gone are the stringy, dry pieces of turkey you spend half of your Thanksgiving dinner gnawing on. And, it means you the cook do not have to baste or season or stuff the gobbler.

And now, the sides:

Dressing, of course. We here in the South are all about cornbread dressing. None of this white bread or (shudder) oyster dressing. We do not need walnuts or fruit in our dressing. It is thick, it is a perfect textured compliment to the turkey residing on your fork. Paired with giblet gravy, it does not get much better than that. (Yes, that's right. Giblet gravy. You got a problem with that?)


Cranberry Relish. I do not know what is in this, but it is mighty fine. The tart fresh cranberries and a hint of citrus (orange I believe) makes for a nice refreshing burst in your mouth after the dressing and corn and bread.


Candied yams. I have only had sweet potatoes with marshmallows on top once in my life that I can recall. And it was nasty. This, this is what yams were made to be. Creamy on the inside with a nice sugared crunch on the outside. I do not know how my mom creates these, I know there is Karo syrup involved, but I fear should I ever get the recipe, I will make them as often as possible.

Marinated vegetables is a year-round side dish for my family. Equally welcome at tables both turkeyed and barbecued. It, like the relish, is a nice cool refreshment between the creamier and warmer bites. Consisting of cucumbers, carrots, celery, red onion, vinegar, celery seeds and some other stuff, it is delightful and one of my all-time favorites.


My contribution to the dinner table - Herb Stuffed Tomatoes. Turned out pretty good, if I do say so myself. Hollowed out tomatoes stuffed with parsley, provolone, bread crumbs and tomato guts, then cooked until cheese is melted and tops are crisp.


Sides not featured:
Giblet gravy - creamy, little chunky, good
Creamed corn - I did not try this. I think I got spoiled on the picked on a farm, shucked, made-from-scratch kind.
Dinner rolls -They came pre-fab. You probably had them at your table too.


Dessert. Oh dessert. This year's dessert options featured two lovely pies. First up is the seasonal favorite pumpkin pie. My family seemed to like it, so I guess it was good. I am not personally a pumpkin pie fan, but to each his own. Mom wanted me to make sure I noted that this pie (minus the crust) was made from scratch.


And now, the piece de resistance. Lemon Meringue Pie. My mouth waters just thinking of it. This is, by far, the best pie ever created by mankind. I have tried many lemon meringue pies in my life and all have fallen short. Why? Some crusts were soggy, fillings jello-y, meringues fake. But all, all have fallen short in the most key area. Tartness. Lemon meringue pie should smell like lemons and make you pucker just a little when you take a forkful. I need to taste the lemon. Get that? The Le-mon. Not the lemon pudding or jello or that juice from a lemon-shaped squirter, actual lemons. This, this is what pie is meant to be.


I leave you now with before and after photos of one of the Thanksgiving plates. I hope your Thanksgiving was as filling and tasty as mine!

No comments: