Thursday, November 15, 2007

Blueberries ala mode

What do you do when you have a bunch of fresh (frozen) blueberries, a pie crust too shallow to make a decent quiche recipe and no eggs? Blueberry pie! Blueberry crumb pie, to be more exact. I have been in quite a baking mood of late, which probably means there is some issue or thought process I am deeply devoted to avoiding. But it sure does make my place smell tasty!

I found myself Saturday looking for something to occupy my time for a few minutes, and the reminder that I had blueberries in my freezer begging to be used sent me on a recipe hunting expedition. A few immediate problems: I had no eggs, no lemons (used often to enhance the flavor), and no raw pie dough. I finally came across a recipe that I could amend to meet my needs, Blueberry Crumb Pie.

I did not have enough blueberries, even with my bagged frozen ones, which ended up making the filling a little too heavy on the sugar and light on the tart, but recipes are made to be tweaked with and I tweaked not so well. And then there is the issue of my oven which has been running hot lately, which I forgot when I baked the pie. This led to blackened edges, but was great for the crumb topping which melted into a decent crust. Not bad for a spur of the moment dessert, if I do say so myself. One of my friends asked me who I was going to share my pie with. Um, do you not think I will eat it all myself? I am a generous person when it comes to food, but some things are for my comfort alone, and my pie is one of them.

Unfortunately, I did not have the presence of mind to remember next week is Thanksgiving and I will be eating the best pie ever - Lemon Meringue Pie. I puck a little just thinking about it. Feeling the light meringue slowly melt in my mouth, ushering in the custardy lemon filling and flaky crust. Maybe some day when I have to put on my own Thanksgiving feast, it will be nothing but carbed-up sides and pies. But, until that day, Blueberry Crumb Pie will work well enough.

And, no, I have not been eating it from the tin. It may be my personal pie, but it still needs some amount of respect and care.

No comments: