Tuesday, September 4, 2012

You're My Obsession

I need to begin tracking where I first hear about things, if for no other reason than my own historical timeline bent. Like books; I can rarely recall where or how I first hear about a book. In any case, not exactly the point of this post here. I would like to take out my traveling salesman suitcase and convince you why you need what I have to show you.

First up, and in use right now - glasses!  I needed new glasses, badly. Not only because street signs were taking longer to read, but also because my frames were warped beyond repair.  Or, to be more real with you, every time I tried to have the frames adjusted, they became more crooked. Pretty sure my ears are at different heights or my nose is crooked  or my eyes are not where they are supposed to be. Whatever the reason, things were not sitting well, literally. So, I did what any American today would do, I Googled. Not sure what perfect phrase I entered to yield the results I had, but nevertheless, there it was.  The answer, the beautiful, elegant, inexpensive answer to all my problems. Warby Parker.  Sigh...

Warby Parker is a company that makes glasses (and sunglasses). For $95. With the prescription. Yes, take a moment and reread that little burst of amazingness. $95 will get you your very own pair of gorgeous, handsome, put all other frames to shame glasses and lenses. What, is that not enough for you?  Fine. They have a virtual try on studio where you can upload your mug and try on glasses. For every pair of glasses purchased, a pair is donated to someone in need. They also train low income entrepreneurs in developing countries to fit and sell glasses.  Has what I told you still not won you over?  You get to try on frames, in your home, for free for five days. Yep, you pick five frames you like, they ship them to you, and you can show any and everyone you like, take votes, ask strangers what they think. You can even ask the people at Warby Parker what they think of your glasses. Five days later, ship the frames back for free, and buy a pair if you like. And I liked.  Say hello to the divine Leigh...

My specs were a little more expensive because I am more blind than most people, but even with the added oomph, it still came in under $130. Easy on the eyes and the pocket?  Yes, please.  I even have my eyes on my next pair. I am looking at you Reese. (Oh, the puns!)

For my second trick, I mean, product, I present bkr bottle. Worried that plastic was going to rot my brain out (or whatever drinking water from a sun-soaked plastic bottle does), I spied these little beauties...somewhere.  Really wish I could remember how I heard about them, because I think these are awesome.  Essentially, it is a glass bottle with a silicone suit and a lovely top hat/fascinator. I purchase my first one at a local Raleigh shop, Nofo at the Pig. I was so desperate for one, I did not care too much about the sleeve color. Which was good since the only color that appealed to me was Space. 
Ah, but second chances came when I showed my new acquisition to Aaron, a notorious water loather. Here is what is different about bkr: since the bottle is glass, it does not absorb any smells from liquids like OJ, Gatorade, or Dr. Pepper. The water, or whatever you drink, tastes just like it is supposed to. Not orange water or lemonade milk. We searched once more for bkr and found them at Whole Foods. I passed along my Space one to Aaron, and picked up a happy Julep for myself.  Since then, Aaron has professed how great the bottle is. With the aid of a little drink mix-in, he drank a whole 16 oz glass in one day. This is a big accomplishment and I am proud that bkr and I helped make it possible.

So there you are, two of the latest finds that have become the things I will tell just about any and everyone about. It is incredible how relatively simple things can impact our day-to-day lives. Glasses and a glass, who knew?

No comments: