Wednesday, September 12, 2012

On the Road Again

In order to keep up my family's recently added tradition of constant relocation, Aaron and I are moving...again. It feels like we just moved into our apartment, but we are pulling up our stakes, loading up our wagons, and heading south. Watch out world, we are going to Atlanta! 
Aaron has completed his dissertation, been approved to graduate, and I can now boast that I married a doctor.  Woohoo!  Unfortunately, graduation and a PhD mean a new job, which for us means a move. Aaron has accepted a position at Georgia Tech to be a postdoctoral research fellow in the School of Interactive Computing (I think I got all those words correct). We are excited to mess around in a new city, but a little nervous about the upcoming change. However, this does keep up our tradition of living in state capitals. Three down, 47 to go!  

We have found an apartment that we hope will work out well for us in the couple years we know we will be in Atlanta, but we still are looking for many of the other basics in a new town. Church, grocery store, Target, Trader Joe's, gas station, book store... In our visit there a few weeks ago for home hunting, we did stumble upon what could prove to be our local restaurant (Shorty's!) and our local library, so those are two things we can check off our list. And our apartment is right next to a park, so walking trails and green places are taken care of, too. 

I am excited to take advantage of all Atlanta has to offer in the way of museums, theater, food, sports, and historical sites. Stay tuned for our adventures as we try to be visitors in our new home.

Update pre-post: We are here, along with what we hope are all our worldly possessions. Boxes are still lurking waiting to be unpacked, but all in all life is settling into a nice rhythm. I have found the grocery stores, Target, Ikea (swoon!), Trader Joe's, ice cream, and a local book shop. I still have no idea where the closest/cheapest gas station is, church searching begins in earnest this weekend, and I think, if my not-so-subtle hints worked, that we will have our first outing as visitors in our new town. Which I am too excited for words about - I feel like a kid going to Disney with what I hope is planned for this weekend.  

No comments: