Friday, September 16, 2011

31 Before 31

Another year, another list!  This list was fairly quick to put together, in part because there are some repeats from last year that I did not quite get to.  There are a few new ones as well, along with a couple that will be on the list perennially.  More of the items on this year's list will require planning and/or an ongoing effort, which makes it more challenging, and even better when I accomplish it.  So, without further ado, the list!

1. Ride a roller coaster
2. Go to either a professional football or basketball game
3. Go camping with Aaron (in a tent camping) for at least two nights...baby steps
4. Make creme brulee
5. Read 3 books from my compilation "100 Best Books" list
6. Visit a state I have never been to
7. Take the Amtrak with Aaron for a weekend getaway
8. Follow RunTex or Couch to 5K training and run in a 5K (try, try again!)
9. Make Grandmommie's rump roast for a group of friends
10. Throw a movie-themed party, where the food and fun are thematic of the movie we are watching (e.g. Cowboy Spaghetti and playing horseshoes for a spaghetti Western)
11. Figure out how to play Wii Golf (It's my Wii nemesis)
12.  Watch 4 films from my American Film Institute Top 100 movies list
13. Go to the Outer Banks
14. Read the Old Testament in a year
15. Read biographies of George Washington and Thomas Jefferson
16. Spend Christmas and Aaron's birthday with Aaron - for the first time!
17. Eat dessert at Hayes-Barton Cafe
18. Try one new recipe a month
19. Read 26 books over the next year
20. Have people over for dinner 4 times
21. Floss regularly
22. Reach 75 geocaches found (currently at 45)
23. Make different homemade breads 6 times
24. Figure out a workable monthly budget for groceries
25. Put together a jigsaw of more than 1000 pieces
26. Give blood (This is easily the scariest item on the list for me)
27. Visit the Farmers Market once a month for fresh, local food
28. Make a dish with mussels
29. Aaron's choice:  Aaron would like me to write a 6,000 word short story where a key plot point involves a chair.
30. Make paella
31. Create an Easter Egg Hunt for Aaron (He suggested it, I loved it, and so it is)

As with last year, I will make a separate page on the blog to track how I am doing, and post some of the items as I finish them.  

2 comments:

Ellie said...

I love your lists! I think I might have to do one this year...maybe I'll start compiling it now so it's ready to go come February! I so wish I could sit with you with a cup of tea and chat, but I'll have to resign myself to just commenting on your 31 items...

1. Have you really never ridden a roller coaster?

3. We are going camping with my family for the first time since I was a kid in about a month - I'm a little nervous!

8. I started C25K and want to try again - if you have a smart phone there are some great apps for it.


10. great idea!

14. maybe one I'll put on my list!

15. Having done a fair share of Washington reading I have some books if your interested. If you're only going to read one though you might need to be a little more picky but if you want to borrow I can send you The General & Mrs. Washington by Chadwick or I have the compilation of all of Martha's letters - interesting reading - of course not really George's bio...

19. Somehow I don't think this will be difficult for you...

21. Good call! I was really good about this while I was pregnant and now not so much.

23. I think some kind of bread-making needs to go on my list.

26. maybe I'll try this too!

29. I would like a copy of this when you're finished

31. Super fun idea!

Unknown said...

Hi Ellie, I wish we could sit down with a cup of tea and chat, too! Here are my responses to your comments...

1) I have ridden many a coaster, it has just been too long since I have.

3. I used to go camping with my family, and Aaron likes to camp a lot - for weeks where you catch and kill your own fish and stuff. This is my attempt at meeting him somewhere in the middle.

8. I have downloaded C25K and hope to start in the next week or two.

10. Yes, I miss Alamo Drafthouse very much, so this is my attempt to bring it to Raleigh.

15. I think Aaron and I have a bio of Washington that we picked up at Borders. This item is part of my bucket list goal to read a biography of every president in order of their presidency.

19. Yes, I may up the number on this one after I see how many books I read in 2011.

21. Flossing is my least favorite dentist activity, but I know I should do it...ever.

29. Once I have finished writing it, I hope to post the story on the blog. Maybe as an attachment, possibly in piece - serialize it like Dickens or something!

31. Yes, I have learned Aaron really likes Easter Egg Hunts. Really really likes them.