Thursday, January 28, 2010

Books in Waiting

As I sit here at my desk, there are several temptations a few feet to my left. Books. They stare at me from their multi-colored spines, urging me to pause each time I pass, wooing me with the knowledge and stories held within their covers. However, my GANC book this month has taken up most of my reading space, and I have endeavored to read two other books on the side for personal and professional gain. So, no room on the night stand for these books, these books in waiting. Below, a selected few of these 14 books (and counting)...

Pride and Prejudice and Zombies, by Seth Grahame-Smith - I got this book from Aaron's mom for Christmas, and then Aaron got a copy from me for Christmas. Clearly this is an unread but well-loved book. My devotion for Pride and Prejudice (P&P) is deep and true. One of the best books I have ever read and will continue reading until I am too blind to read, in which case I will get it on CD or MP3, or whatever listening medium we have 50 years from now. I am saving P&P&Z for when I need a good pick-me-up and a laugh, but I fear temptation may win out over my pragmatic goal.

Guns, Germs and Steel, by Jared Diamond - I have looked at this book and begun reading it almost every time I have gone into a bookstore for the past 6 or so years. And finally, this Christmas, I got it (thanks to mom and dad - thanks!). The main thrust of the book is exploring how and why one civilization thrived while another died out. It mixes my love of history with science, which is less known to me but I am eager to learn about.

King Leopold's Ghost, by Adam Hochschild - This was a book I was supposed to read in my African History 2 class but did not finish. Looks like I got, oh, about 48 pages in of about 300. The class was hard for me because I had not taken African History 1 and the flow of African history is dissimilar from European history. It was not countries at war, but tribes with ever changing boundaries, and then Europe came in and started creating their own boundaries. Very confusing. However, I do want to read this book and give it the opportunity I could not my junior year of college.

The Terror, by David Andress - For about a year now, I have wanted to read more about the French Revolution. It is a time in history I am woefully not knowledgeable of. In my high school world history class, we ended right around the French Revolution and, in college, all of my history classes were either American or British (save my African class). I loved A Tale of Two Cities so I thought it high time I read the history of it all. I had a couple books on my list that looked decent, but over Christmas in Texas, I found myself at a Half Price and could not say no to this book. I have no idea how good or bad it is and hope that if it is not great, it is not so bad that it deters me from further reading.

To Kill a Mockingbird, by Harper Lee - No, I am not spoiling a GANC novel here; I have already read this book. However, that was in junior high, so it is about time to revisit Scout and friends. And, I just happened to have a gift card to Barnes & Noble, which just happened to carry the 40th anniversary edition. So, I bought and now it sits on my "classic literature" shelf waiting to be as well-loved and well-read as its companions.

There you are, a few of the books waiting to be read on my shelf currently. All the rest are histories or non-fiction, including two I have already "read" but loved enough to purchase. What books-in-waiting are on your shelf?

2 comments:

Ellie said...

I have so many books sitting on my bookshelf waiting to be read that it physically hurts me to look at them! Someday when I'm done with school then I will get to start diminishing the shelves of books I keep accumulating! I just started reading Alice's Adventures in Wonderland for our bookclub and am reading Mary Wollstonecraft's A Vindication of the Rights of Women for a class.

I must say that even though I love Pride and Prejudice (and got the A&E DVD for Christmas!) I don't have much desire to read the zombie version...

Guns, Germs and Steel, by Jared Diamond - I've looked at this one several times too and have added it to my wish list along with several others that you mentioned.

Happy Reading!

We have bookclub tonight and I so wish you could be here!

Unknown said...

I read Alice in Wonderland at work over a few days (shh, don't tell), mainly while stuck in the media center burning CDs. Probably a book better enjoyed in hardcopy, but aren't all books better when you can hold them in your hands and leaf through the pages? I think so.

I wish I were there for book club! I am kind of glad I left before the club began, I think I would miss it too too much if I had had the chance to experience its magnificence.