Wednesday, October 7, 2009

Soup's On! (Beans & Barley)

Ooh, a food post, a rare thing these past months - yippee! Lest you think I have been living off PB & J and take out, I promise you I have been actually making food, just not a lot of note. Or I have pictures of food that have not been uploaded and I am a procrastinator. Perhaps a little of column A, little of column B.

Last week, I decided with the temp dip into the 70s that it was time to begin soup season. Yes, anything below 80 qualifies as cool weather for this Texan. Aaron and I schemed to split the soup between us and have enough for almost a week's worth of dinner each. We began with Slow Cooker Bean and Barley Soup. Just before bed, I chopped up carrots, celery and onion, dumped them into the Crock Pot along with beans (I used a bag of 15-bean), barley, water and a few cans and seasonings, turned the Crock Pot on, went to bed and awoke Saturday morning the warm aroma of cooked beans. Added a few more things per the recipe and scooped it all into containers. Tada!

The soup came out thick, more on the line with almost a chili. When I reheated it for dinner that night, I added some chicken stock to thin it a little, but water of course could be used. I thought it was on the salty side, so I would reduce the amount of salt at the beginning a little, or the amount of Parmesan at the end. I may have added a little more cheese than asked for. The beans and barley soften well and blend together with the veggies and spices quite well. The beans more or less kept their shape, so it is not like you are eating mush for lunch. Add some hearty crusty bread on the side and you have a fantastically filling meal.

No comments: