Tuesday, October 2, 2007

A few of my favorite things

It has been a bit since I last posted. Not because I had nothing to write about, just that all I wrote about were found to be incomplete or in need of major refining. So, to satiate my readers (all two of you - hi!) and because my week has begun less than stellarly (two words: bulk mailing), I present things I like.

1) Rain when the sun is still shining. Actually, I like it when it rains in general, sun or no sun. The smell, sound, feel, all of it. Yes, even thunderstorms...as long as my power does not go out.

2) Peanut butter. For more detail on why I like peanut butter, read this.

3) Mozilla. Some of you may never of heard of this. I had not until my old computer started acting up on me (my Microsoft computer rejected Microsoft Office) and I had to find a new means of accessing internet. Tabbed browsing is a beautiful thing. I know, I know, Internet Explorer has tabbed browsing now, too. Mozilla is still better.

4) My mixer. I heart my mixer. I have made whipped cream, pizza dough, cookies, brownies, breads, and muffins using it and it has yet to fail me. It incorporates just the right amount of air into whatever it is I am mixing, giving the resulting edible the correct airiness my hand mixing could never achieve.

5) Burt's Bees. Pretty much anything from them. It smells (usually) good, feels good, and is natural to boot. I use their face soap, moisturizer, lip balms, and lotions regularly.

6) Hairy Man Road. Yes, that is right, I am talking about a road. When I was in college, I drove down this stretch coming and going and it was so inviting. Trees canopy the road, the sun seeping through the green leaves and boughs above. It was warm and peaceful. Also, the road has its own festival, complete with the Hairiest Man contest.

As to why this small stretch of road is nicknamed Hairy Man Road. Legend has it that he was left as an infant along the Brushy Creek river by settlers moving West in the 1800s. He was raised by the animals and always resented human intrusion to his creek and bluffs and would hang from the trees above wagon trains, dragging his feet on the tops to frighten the settlers. One time, it is told, his feet got caught on a carriage and he was dragged behind it until he died. Since then, if you drive along Hairy Man Road, you may hear his feet scraping along the roof of your car.

7) The Blair Handbook. I have used his book more than I ever thought I would. It shares how to cite books, articles, journals, and whatever else needs citing. Talks about punctuation uses, formatting essays, reviews, persuasive papers. And it gives several citing options: ALA, MLA, Chicago. It is the one useful thing I gained from taking freshman English in college.

I think those are enough things to like for now. I am starting to feel a little better already!

No comments: