Wednesday, April 18, 2007

Thanks, George Washington Carver!

We all have our addictions; some are more harmful than others (addiction to watching "American Idol" versus addiction to painkillers...though the former may necessitate the latter). And one of mine is peanut butter. I love peanut butter. On bread, crackers, apples, chocolate, cookies, and celery. The stuff just rocks. If I need a little mid-afternoon snack to tide me over until dinner - toast with peanut butter. When I desire an after dinner treat - milk chocolate chips and peanut butter. If I am having a bad day and I need a little comfort food - spoonful of peanut butter.

Because I love peanut butter does not mean I will eat anything that claims to be peanut butter. Not all peanut butters are created equal! Organic, crunchy, creamy, sweet,peanut flavor, spreadability - so many things to consider. Fortunately, Ed Levine has does some research for me, and my peanut butter, Jif, came in second place. Good job, Jif!

Why do I like Jif? Let's back up and answer the first peanut butter question - creamy or chunky? I have always been a creamy gal, it spreads well, does not dig into the bread, and taken from a spoon, the lack of peanut bits means I don't have to chew anything. And the crunchy peanut butter bits would get stuck in my teeth leading to awkwardly digging said bits out with one's tongue, finger, or toothpick. Second question - why not organic? I could say it is because it is too gritty or more expensive or something, but that would not be true. I remember one time growing up when my mom got organic peanut butter. There was a layer of oil in the jar, and that was gross. I do not want to stir my peanut butter, it should be a premixed food. Maybe organics have evolved since then, but no peanut butter can be my peanut butter if it does not pass the "enjoyable eaten straight from spoon" test. Beyond those two main issues, it is a matter of preference. Peter Pan was not thick enough and a little too sweet, off brand was dry, and Skippy I only know from when I visited my grandmother. So, Jif it is. It is peanut-y, smooth, goes well on bread, excellent with little pieces of chocolate, and has pretty colors on its label.

Choosy Allison chooses Jif!

**Update**

I read a shocking statistic today. Shocking in a good way, that is. Peanut butter helps the environment! Don't believe me? Go here and see for yourself. I suddenly feel so globally conscious. Off to eat a PB & J now. Helping the environment, one bite at a time...

No comments: