Tuesday, August 14, 2007

Let them eat flapjacks

I have a sudden glut of topics to write about. And, unlike the highly organized and methodical person I am, I am going to forgo the ideal chronological order of these "discoveries" and cut straight to the latest, greatest, and freshest on my mind. Kerbey Lane pancakes. Go ahead and click on the link..see the pancakes in the background behind their name? Yeah, they are great. If you order a short stack that is by no means short, you get 2 pancakes as big as the plate and each about an inch thick. These, my friends, are pancakes. Pancake types include blueberry, buttermilk, apple whole wheat, and, my personal favorite, gingerbread. If you are ever in Austin long enough to allow you to eat, find a Kerbey Lane Cafe and enjoy pancakes, migas, breakfast tacos, or omelets. I have tried them all and there is not a weak player in the bunch.

Back to me and the pancakes. I was reading the Austin-American Statesman on my lunch break about a month ago and there was a note in the Food & Life section. This weekly section is devoted to letting readers know about new kitchen gadgets, chefs and restaurants in Austin, and seasonal food favorites around the area. And today, there was a little paragraph about how Kerbey Lane Cafe is now making their pancake mixes available at area HEBs. Could it be true, two of my favorite places combining forces and providing me with happy grocery shopping and pancakes? I hit the road to find out for myself.

HEB Plus at the corner of Anderson Mill and 620, around noon on a lazy Saturday, baking aisle, beside Aunt Jemima and Bisquick, a column of brown paper bags with the familiar logo donning its front. Kerbey Lane Cafe buttermilk pancake mix. The Hallelujah chorus rang out from the speakers and the overhead lighting shone a little bit brighter. Unfortunately, the gingerbread mix had sold out, but I snatched up a 2-pound bag of the buttermilk mix. Excitedly, I took the bag home and awaited a Saturday morning to make pancakes and lounge on the couch.

Cut to today. Not a Saturday, potential lounging on the couch, and a definite desire for breakfast at dinner. Out came the Kerbey Lane pancake mix! Little water, one egg, some oil, mix and batter was made. At this point there is something I must confess, two things actually. First, I love pancakes of all shapes and sizes. They are great with butter, syrup, peanut butter, jam, or fresh fruit. Secondly, I have many troubles making pancakes. I manage to char the outside without completely cooking the inside. Yuck. Understandably, I went into this a little nervous for my dear pancakes. Kept the stove temp down, did not overmix the batter as to keep the airiness of it.

After making 5 pancakes (as the directions told me they would - I like it when their portioning matches my portions), I took a pancake, buttered it and gave it a little syrup. I cut a wedge out from the round. I had to put my fork down after that first bite. Oh my. If you had asked me pre-Kerbey what a pancake should taste like, I would probably refer more to the sugary toppings and not the pancake itself. But now I know. These are the best pancakes I have ever had in my life, without a shadow of a doubt. They are light, springy, and tangy from the buttermilk. I could actually taste the pancake through the syrup and butter. As Paula Deen would say, "Ooh, honey. You better slap your mama, that's so good." Each bite was divine.

If there is an HEB or Kerbey Lane Cafe within an hour of you, go. Go now and get yourself some buttermilk pancake mix. And if HEB and Kerbey Lane Cafe are a little too far for you, order some online. Go all out and get a taste of all the kinds with the pancake mix trio, it is only $21. Your mouth will thank you. (And they include a recipe page with each bag with other things you can make with the mix like muffins, cookies, and crepes!)

No comments: