Monday, October 29, 2012

Atlanta Adventures

Aaron and I will be hanging out in Atlanta for at least two years and, after somewhat missing out in some of the usual Raleigh visitor fare, I did not want this new city and its opportunities to pass me by. So, as I said in an earlier post, I am forgoing my 32 Before 32 goal list to make a list of things I would like to do while in Atlanta. Some of them can only be done while in Atlanta, while others are things I would like to do in the next two years. As I learn more about Atlanta and get connected in the city, this list will evolve. It should be a fun ride!

1. Visit Stone Mountain. I visited with my family in 1995 (?) and now that I hear it has expanded beyond checking out a big rock with a bas-relief, I would like to see it again.

2. Visit World of Coca-Cola. Saw this with the family in 1995, however it has relocated since then, so it will be almost new for me.

3. Go to a Braves game. Something else I did with the family on our visit. My extended family are Braves fans. Back in the 90s I think they each had their favorite player - Tom Glavine, Chipper Jones, John Smoltz, Greg Maddux, and Javy Lopez were the ones I recall best. It's Atlanta, you have to go to a Braves game!

4. Go to a Falcons game and finally see a professional football game. And a pretty good football team as they stand now 7-0!

5. Go to the Georgia Aquarium. I have already done this! Aaron took me there for my birthday after I gave numerous obvious hints and it was so fun and so crowded. We opted for a membership, so I would like to go back on a less crowded weekday. I need to learn about all the fish I see!

6. Master a peach-based dessert. What better plan to try?

7. Reread Gone with the Wind  and visit Margaret Mitchell's home.

8. Visit Savannah. Another leg of the family trip in '95. I think I will appreciate it more as an adult. Though I do remember liking the salt water taffy.

9. Actually run a 5K. For real.

10. Meet Alton Brown. And not after standing in line for a book signing. I want a real, unexpected, turn the corner and, "Oh, hi Alton Brown." A girl can dream, can't she? 

11. Eat at The Varsity. It's a Georgia Tech thing.

12. Go to a Georgia Tech sports game.

13. Visit a Civil War battle site. The little history nerd in me squeals with delight about living in Atlanta.

14. Go on Atlanta Botanical Garden's Canopy Walk

15. Visit the Jimmy Carter Presidential Library and Museum

16. Visit the Martin Luther King, Jr. National Historical Site

17. Visit the Atlanta History Center

18. Go to the original Chick-fil-A restaurant, Dwarf House, for dinner

19. Go to Andersonville Prison in Macon County

No comments: