Saturday, January 8, 2011

30 Things before I Turn 30

This is not a new year's resolution list. I was surfing the web one day...probably when I should have been working, and I came across this cool idea of making a list of 30 things to do before you turn 30. With that particular birthday arriving this year, I thought I would make a list of my own to see if I could accomplish it. And, since telling people about things helps in the encouragement and accountability, I am going to share it with y'all! Now, mine is fairly tame when you look at other people's lists, but it is my list and I like it...except for a few I may change if I can think of something better.

1. Make a layered cake from scratch
2. Read Bible, cover to cover
3. Make pad thai from scratch
4. Make a dinner calendar for a month's worth of meals
5. Go to the Biltmore Estate
6. Go to the dermatologist for a skin cancer screening (aka moley doctor)
7. *Personal goal*
8. Follow RunTex training and run in a 5k
9. Lose at least 12 pounds
10. See an allergist/nutritionist about my food issues (OAS)
11. Have people over for dinner 6 times
12. Pay for the order of the car behind me in the drive through
13. Go to the Outer Banks
14. Reach 50 caches found with Geocaching
15. Get a pedicure
16. Make sangria
17. Visit a state I have not been to
18. Master Artisan Bread in 5 Minutes a Day
19. Bid soda a fond farewell
20. Go dairy-less (aside from yogurt) for 30 days and see how I feel
21. Have a girls' night
22. Eat at Lilly's Pizza
23. Make homemade marshmallows
24. Roast and eat a beet
25. Get a physical
26. Make and eat a whole lobster
27. Make it through my Pilates DVD without stopping due to gasping breath or inability to bend
28. Read 3 books from my compilation "100 Best Books" list
29. Buy whole nutmeg
30. Watch 4 movies from my American Film Institute Top 100 movies list

I will be adding these to a page on my blog so I can keep everyone updated on my progress. There will also be a few posts on the more interesting items and adventures I have.

6 comments:

Amanda said...

This is fun! Unfortunately, I am past the 30 mark so I would probably have to make a "before i'm 35 or 40 list." ha ha!

btw - The Biltmore is awesome!! We went there for our 1st anniversary and I loved it. Also going to the derm. for a skin check is sooooo worth it! I have already had about 4 surgeries to remove pre-cancerous moles. It's much better to catch stuff early. :)

Good luck on your list!!

Unknown said...

It is fun. And a lot of the people who made this list for their 30th go on to make 31 before 31, etc. It is a nice way to do things you have always meant to do and step outside the box.

I cannot wait to go to the Biltmore. I think my parents have been a time or two, and I live in NC and still have yet to go. I am with you on the dermatologist. Some relatives have had skin cancer, so I know I need to be diligent in going.

Anonymous said...

I think #2, 19, and 24 are the three hardest, but I'm not sure what order to put them in. Best of luck with those.

I'm personally looking forward to the side benefits of #1, 11, 16, and 22. :-)

The obvious cop-out is #29. Seriously. #12 is similarly easy, but that one is at least cool. The only 'nutmeg' that's even remotely cool is the one that happens in soccer.

Still, I love lists like this. If you don't have goals, then you'll never reach them. Let me know if there's anyway that I can help!

winewillfixit@gmail.com said...

Make sangria! Yummy!

http://winewillfixit.blogspot.com/2011/01/30-things-i-did-before-i-turned-30.html

Kristin Schoolfield said...

I'm with you on #18. I just need to find one of those plastic containers to keep in my fridge. Oh, and let me know when you do #26...sounds yummy!!!

Unknown said...

I found a plastic container that seems to work at Walmart, but it was quite the search to locate one. I think it would have been faster and easier to order one from Amazon or go to a restaurant supply store.