Friday, October 1, 2010

An Obsession Confession

Confession time. For the past few months, I have fed an ever-growing obsession. One that Aaron has not only encouraged me in, but has partaken of as well. We are disciplined in our obsession, though, only indulging once a month. I guess it is time to out with it. Now, I will warn you, what I am about to show you may lead to your own obsession. Perhaps we could start a support group.


Aren't they gorgeous? I could stare at them for ages. The cover design is by Coralie Bickford-Smith for Penguin Classics. I wish I could remember where or when I first saw one of these books. It was probably wandering the rows of a bookstore and stumbling upon Jane Eyre or Pride and Prejudice. You know, it has kind of been like a relationship. I saw a book for a brief moment, and the first impression stuck with me. I started to look especially for them, seeing if we would happen to bump into one another at the store. I began to talk about them with other people, trying to make them see how amazing they were. Then there was that first date, the first dalliance. I purchased one.

I showed it to Aaron and we decided, then and there, that we were in a committed relationship with these books. But we did not want to take it too fast. We wanted this to be a long, smoldering relationship. So we decided that we would only buy one book a month each, and we had to be together to purchase them. The fact we only visit them once a month not only makes it something of a treat and a fun date, but also it feels like it is something we should not be doing, overly indulgent. Like eating cherry pie right from the pie tin, or watching a embarrassing to admit but secretly loved movie while eating a pint of Ben & Jerry's.

These are books that we aim to make a library of. Making a library is not putting all your old college textbooks on a shelf. Library making is the thoughtful acquisition of high quality books worthy of multiple readings and thoughtful reflection. Books whose readings will not go out of style, and whose premises, plots, and social commentary transcend writing styles and generations. And, if you are like me, something I call bookend books. A more accurate term would be book spine books, but that does not roll off the tongue as well. Books, like these, that stand out on a shelf, hardcover with a good solid spine.

I hope my obsession confession has not resulted in an immediate reduction in your bank account and a sudden increase in needed bookshelf space. Or, if it does, that you enjoy searching for and reading them as much as Aaron and I have.

No comments: