Thursday, September 9, 2010

Descriptive Jealousy

I am jealous. Jealous of a man. A man who was able to put into words what I have repeatedly failed in doing. Jealous of a man who put into words the thoughts I fail to express in written and spoken words about William Faulkner. Yes, him again. This author has taken up haunting me. I am afraid to turn a corner down a darkened alley lest I am confronted with a book of Faulkner's sitting there, glaring at me menacingly. Most books do not glare, but I imagine Faulkner's would. Anyway, I digress. I am jealous of not only of how well this man described his experience attempting to read Absalom, Absalom!, but also of how eloquently he presented his hesitation, confusion, and understanding of Faulkner's writing style. I believe he is spot on and only wish I had come up with his words when I attempted to explain and understand the book and the author.
(Thanks, Dad, for the link!)

No comments: