Tuesday, July 6, 2010

GANC: The Almost Reads

Now that the reading is over, I can share with you those books that missed the cut. I may have read thirteen books, but there were several that made my GANC list but did not make the cut for reading. A little of this was due to my own reading preferences, but most of it is because of the "two books per decade" rule. By the time I realized my list was absent some big hitters, I had already exhausted a couple key decades, namely 1920-1970. In order to allow these books to be recognized for their merit, below is a list of what I almost read but did not. In some cases, books were recommended to me, and I will note who recommended where appropriate. I also may provide explanation on why I have the book on my list or why I did not read it. In other words, this is my blog and I will do whatever I want to. So there.

1830s
The Book of Mormon - Talk about starting off the list with a bang, huh? It is clear that this book has a large and ever-increasing footprint in America. It is somewhat controversial that it is on my list as a fictional novel. I do not know enough about The Book of Mormon to declare what it is or is not (myth, tall tale, blasphemy, fiction), but I believe it is not a writing inspired or written by God, Jesus, any of His angels, the Holy Spirit, or any of the previous speaking through the mouth and writings of Joseph Smith. It is a work written by a man, from the mind of a man, with no heavenly assistance whatsoever.

1840s
The Deerslayer, by James Fenimore Cooper - Having read The Last of the Mohicans, and wanting to have a book from the early to mid-19th century, this was a natural choice. And I actually started to read it one month for the challenge. However, I found it difficult to get into and not something I was excited to read, so I abandoned it for another book.

1860s
The Marble Faun, by Nathaniel Hawthorne - I love reading Hawthorne, so when I looked his works up to find a book to read for GANC, I found that I had exhausted all of his novels set in America. This one was set in Italy, so it did not rank high on my list of novels to read that could be great American ones.

1880s
The Portrait of a Lady, by Henry James

The Prince and the Pauper, by Mark Twain - I had already read his two America-centric books, Tom Sawyer and Huckleberry Finn, so this one also fell on the list due to it not being set in the US.

A Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur's Court, by Mark Twain

1890s
The Awakening, by Kate Chopin

1920s
Babbit, by Sinclair Lewis - I was supposed to read this book in US History 2, but failed to finish it. Since then I have picked it up from time to time, only to be lured away by a more indulgent novel. This book was a victim of too many good books in one decade.

1930s
Tropic of Cancer, by Henry Miller - Victim of decade

The Grapes of Wrath, by John Steinbeck - This too was a victim of decade. Let me put it plainly, I misused the 1930s. Thankfully, Aaron owns this book and I will probably read it before he finishes it.

1940s
Cannery Row, by John Steinbeck - Poor Steinbeck. So many good books over so many decades, and I could not read them all.

Other Voices, Other Rooms, by Truman Capote - I have only read In Cold Blood and was interested to see how his fiction played out.

The Naked and the Dead, by Norman Mailer - By the time I realized I was missing this author, it was too late. The 1940s were already spoken for.

1950s
Invisible Man, by Ralph Ellison

Wise Blood, by Flannery O'Connor

The Adventures of Augie March, by Saul Bellow - I wanted to read this book so badly, but it simply was not in the cards. Had I not taken half a month to decide not to read Invisible Man, I could have tried to read this. Oh well. I think Aaron has a copy, so I will add it to my pile of books to read.

Atlas Shrugged, by Ayn Rand

On the Road, by Jack Kerouac

1960s
The Moviegoer, by Walker Percy

V., by Thomas Pynchon

The Crying of Lot 49, by Thomas Pynchon

Slaughterhouse-Five, by Kurt Vonnegut - I know! How did I make it through high school and college, while having this book on my list throughout, and still not read it!? I am happy with the two novels I did read from the 60s, so no regrets here. Just another book to keep on my list. Lock me away for a year and I may be able to finish half of this list I have.

1980s
The Executioner's Song, by Norman Mailer - This is a book that has a foot in both non-fiction and fiction, depending on where you look. A little like In Cold Blood - fictionalized account of a true crime

The House on Mango Street, by Sandra Cisneros

Blood Meridian, by Cormac McCarthy - My uncle Tim recommended this book to me and said it was one of the greatest books of the 20th century. To place some perspective on this, Tim is an English professor at St. Edward's University, so his comment is not without merit.

A Prayer for Owen Meany, by John Irving - Suggested to me by a friend. The '80s and beyond is a little too fresh and new for me to feel comfortable declaring a book that could be younger than me as a great American novel. I like a good 30 or 40 year buffer to see what books are flashes in a pan and which are here to stay.

The Joy Luck Club, by Amy Tan

1990s
The Things They Carried, by Tim O'Brien

Bud, Not Buddy, by Christopher Paul Curtis

2000s
The Amazing Adventures of Kavalier & Clay, by Michael Chabon

Some books that were considered for my "break the rules" month:
Dr. Seuss - various books
Emily Dickinson's poetry
Calvin & Hobbes
Books I have already read. Which brings us to...

Books I have read that I consider great American novels: (in absolutely no order)
The Wizard of Oz- Frank L. Baum
The Scarlet Letter- Nathaniel Hawthorne
The House of Seven Gables - Nathaniel Hawthorne
To Kill a Mockingbird - Harper Lee
Little Women - Louisa May Alcott
Fahrenheit 451 - Ray Bradbury
The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn - Mark Twain
Call of the Wild - Jack London
O. Henry's short stories
Uncle Tom's Cabin - Harriet Beecher Stowe
The Red Badge of Courage - Stephen Crane
Washington Irving's short stories
Adventures of Tom Sawyer - Mark Twain
All the King's Men - Robert Penn Warren
The Hidden Hand - E.D.E.N. Southworth (Never heard of this book? Go ahead and add it to your book list. It is funny, light, adventure-filled, fantastical and melodramatic.)

So there you are. Are there any books I should have had on my list that are glaring omissions? Should I have thrown in some non-fiction to pick from for my break the rules month? How about a book written by a non-American author? Feel free to add your suggestions to my list via comments. I look forward to see what books I missed!

5 comments:

Dad said...

Before all the gods of English descend on you with various curses, etc., didn't STEPHEN Crane write The Red Badge of Courage? By the way, great choice of "Good 'Ol Charlie Brown" to wrap up the GANC list. Hard to find anything more American than the Peanuts gang... Your choice and commentary genuinely touched me.

Anonymous said...

First, I will absolutely finish The Grapes of Wrath. Sometime...

Second, I'm pretty sure the biggest omission from this post is basically anything from F. Scott Fitzgerald.

Third, I know I said this to you over the weekend, but your choice to "break the rules" with the Peanuts was truly inspired.

Unknown said...

Uh uh, sure you will Aaron. Should we place bets on which year it will be, or is decade better?

Fitzgerald, I knew there had to be one or two. I tried to make my already read list as I went along, but some books/authors clearly fell through the cracks. Beside, The Great Gatsby was so 11th grade.

Thanks for liking my "break the rules" choice. Once I decided on how I would break the rules, it was an easy choice for me. I would argue it is perhaps the most American of the books I read over the past 13 months.

Nancy said...

Yes, Allison, I agree Charlie Brown and the Peanuts gang was the perfect ending to a year's worth of reading.

I also agree that Aaron will finish reading The Grapes of Wrath decades from now.

I would like to recommend The Road by Cormac McCarthy. It's bit on the dark side being that the setting is after the end of the world. However, it is a story that is moving, heartbreaking at times, and very powerful. I believe there is a movie based on it. Now that I have read the book, I plan to see the movie!

Congratulations on completing the year of GANC!

Anonymous said...

Decades!? Seriously? I'm not *that* slow of a reader...