Monday, November 23, 2009

Confessions of a Cookie Snatcher

Now that I am out of my parents' house and far enough away that they cannot ground me, I may now admit to something - I snuck and ate my dad's molasses cookies from time to time. They were slightly spicy, sugar dusted and delicious, and I could not keep my paws off them. Sorry Dad! Ever since, I look for a decent molasses cookie recipe that holds a candle to the store bought ones I pilfered.

I am happy to report I have not only found a recipe that is as good as those cookies, but I think these are even better. Molasses Crinkles are chewy, spicy, and perfect with a cup of hot tea on a crisp fall day. I made a batch for the Fall Retreat my church had a couple weeks ago. Unfortunately, my humble cookies were outshone by more jazzy desserts like oreo brownies and apple cake, but people did not know what they were missing. Aaron even became a spokesperson for the cookies, but to no avail. Which, in the end, just meant more for us.


Recipes usually say how many servings or slices or cookies it makes, and I rarely achieve that exact number. But with this one, it was exactly 48 cookies, and I was quite impressed with myself. They take a little more effort to make than the average cookie with the chill time and rolling each in sugar, but the payoff is huge. Wonderful two- or three-bite cookie. The type of cookie that merits a cookie jar and monthly making in autumnal and winter seasons.

3 comments:

Ellie said...

My mom used to make these and they were my favorite cookies!

Amanda said...

So I made these for Thanksgiving...and I have to say that they were good on the first day...but then they got hard. Maybe that is the way they are supposed to be...and I think a lot of people like the crunchy ginger snap like cookies, but I am not one of them. It was such a bummer! Everyone else really liked them though. :) I think I am just weird about soft cookies.

Unknown said...

That is odd since mine stayed chewy and soft well past the day I made them. I too am not a fan of crunchy cookies, so I am disappointed yours did not turn out to be a long-lasting chew. I have noticed that things I baked in Texas turn out different here. Not sure if it is the climate, a different flour brand or what. Perhaps this is the case with the cookies.