Tuesday, May 6, 2008

Ice cream minus cream

I have an ongoing list of things I want to post about, but now that I have a job (yippee!) I no longer have 8+ hours in the day to blog at my leisure. So, until I get to those planned posts, I will write about a dessert you can buy ready-made at any grocery store - Haagen-Dazs!

I was read on Serious Eats about low-calorie ice cream (not for the low-cal part so much as the ice cream part) and saw Haagen-Dazs makes a chocolate sorbet, dairy-free frozen dessert. Generally speaking, I am not a gigantic fan of chocolate ice cream, but this is not chocolate ice cream, is it? It is sorbet, which means no dairy, which in turn means my tummy should like it more (silly lactose intolerance). But the only sorbets I have seen previous have been fruit-flavored, which is fine, but sometimes a person needs a pint of chocolate frozen goodness.

Cut to a few weeks later and Aaron and I decide to make burgers. At the grocery store, we gather all the needed items and make our way to the checkout. I cleverly veer toward the ice cream section "just to see" if the sorbet was there. Approximately 10 seconds later, I had my chocolate sorbet and Aaron had his pomegranate chip.

Burgers were great and it was time for dessert; the moment of truth. Will it taste like a watery, fake chocolate or like ice cream? Verdict: I don't need no stinkin' cream to have my chocolate frozen dessert. The texture is smooth, creamy (yeah, I don't know how they pull it off, either) with a great chocolate flavor. The chocolate does not taste sweet or syrupy, but a deep, rich flavor permeates the mouth. So now I have a great alternative to a "special" ice cream to get from time to time, and Haagen-Dazs continues to impress me with its flavors. (See also: Sticky Toffee Pudding and Mayan Chocolate)

And, for the curious, Pomegranate Chip is also a phenomenal ice cream - sweet, tart, a little bitter - mighty tasty.

No comments: